Subject: [RRE]Internet geography

From: Phil Agre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 10:55:49 -0800 (PST)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
This message was forwarded through the Red Rock Eater News Service (RRE).
Send any replies to the original author, listed in the From: field below.
You are welcome to send the message along to others but please do not use
the "redirect" option.  For information about RRE, including instructions
for (un)subscribing, see http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html
or send a message to [email-masked] with Subject: info rre
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:10:35 -0800

Hello All:

I wanted to pass on some data on the geography of the Internet.  Based
on bi-annual surveys of the registration address of domain names, i.e
yahoo.com or theglobe.com, I've been tracking how the Internet and
E-commerce has developed.  Although domain registration is dispersing,
the US remains the primary center and urban areas around the world
contain most of the Internet domain names.  I've put some of this data
(at the global and US state level) on my webpage.  See
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~zook/domain_names/ for more details on
the methodology of this survey, some of the data and my analysis of it
so far.