We know that the primary productivity limitations are not errors in coding but errors in communication and thinking. We also know that the poor quality of the completed software product is simply another aspect of that problem.
- Randall Jenson, Structured Programming
Computer, March 1981
The prerequisites for this class are CS 502, Theoretical Foundations of Computer Science and CS 503, Advanced Programming I. You must be a programmer with a working knowledge of C++.
The course is divided into seven two-week sections. See the syllabus for details.
The class meets in Howard Hall 546 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00 to 7:50 p.m. There will no be class on 22 November due to Thanksgiving.
Each programming assignment will be made available on the syllabus at the start of the associated section. Programming assignments are due two weeks from the day the assignment is issued. My version of the programming assignment will be made available on the syllabus after all the assgnments have been received.
The final grade is a weighted average of test scores and programming assignment grades; the programming assignments grades make up 85% of the final grade and the test grades make up the remaining 15%.
The usual grade ranges are in effect:
All grades are kept with one digit of precision to the right of the decimal point and 0.05 rounded up. No grades are adjusted to a curve; that means, for example, that 89.9 is always a B+, never an A-.
95 <= A 90 <= A- < 95 86.6 <= B+ < 90 83.3 <= B < 86.6 80 <= B- < 83.3 76.6 <= C+ < 80 73.3 <= C < 76.6 70 <= C- < 73.3 F < 70
The final grades.
In addition, you should also have a C++ book handy so you can learn new C++ features and resolve some of the finer points for C++ features about which you already know. I will be using C++ How to Program by Deitel and Deitel - the textbook for 500 and 503 - but any reasonably complete C++ book would do as well.
I've also put together a bibliography of C++ and programming books I've found helpful.
Mail relevant to the class will be stored in a hyper-mail archive. If your message is of general interest to the class, I'll store it, suitably stripped of identification and along with my answer, in the archive.
My attendance policy applies only to lecture attendance; it does not apply to other kinds of attendance which may be required for the course. Repeated failures to meet the attendance expectations set for tests, meetings, projects, labs or other forms of course work will have a bad influence on your grade.
First, the only complaint that matters is that something got marked wrong when it was actually right. When you come to complain, be prepared to present, in explicit detail, what it is you did and why you think it's right.
Second, complaints about a particular test or assignment are only valid until the next test or assignment is due; after that point the book is permanently closed on all previous test or assignment grades.
A late assignment is penalized five points a day for each day it's late. I use a 24-hour clock running from midnight to midnight to measure days; note this means that an assignment handed in the day after it's due is penalized ten points: five for the day it was due and five for the next day.
A make-up test must be scheduled to be taken by the date of the test following the missed test (or the final exam if you miss the last test). If a missed test is not made up by the time of the next test, you get a zero for the missed test.
There will be only one make up given per missed test. If more than one person misses the same test, those people will have to coordinate among themselves to pick a mutually agreeable date for the make up.
The previous time I taught this course.
The ISO working group responsible for creating standard C++.
The SGI and Dinkumware Standard Template Library (STL) pages. The SGI pages are up-to-date and the Dinkumwear pages are not, but I occasionally find the Dinkumwear pages easier to use. The Dinkumware pages also contain (possibly out-of-date) information on all the C++ Standard Libraries, while the SGI pages are only about the STL.
The Boost libraries is a collection of libraries for C++. There is some amazing C++ programming here, particularly template programming.
Taligent's Guide to Designing Programs. Taligent was an IBM-Apple partnership formed in the early 90s to develop a next generation, object-oriented operating system (codenamed, at least for a while, "Pink"). The partnership dissolved without, as far as I know, producing anything apart from documentation.
This page last modified on 9 January 2002.